NWT Emergency Response Update – August 31, 2023 6:00 PM

Residents and evacuees can call 1-844-259-1793 to ask questions about evacuation

Territorial State of Emergency

The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has extended the Territorial State of Emergency.

This allows the GNWT to acquire and deploy the necessary resources to support emergency management and protect the health and safety of Northwest Territories residents. 

This measure has ensured that the Emergency Management Organization (EMO) is better equipped to support the GNWT, community governments, and public agencies involved in emergency management plans and programs under the Emergency Management Act.

The GNWT will be applying the Disaster Assistance Policy (DAP) for communities and surrounding areas in the Northwest Territories where widespread property or infrastructure damage has been experienced and recovery efforts are required. Specifically, these communities include: Behchokǫ̀; Enterprise; Fort Smith; Hay River; Kátł’odeeche First Nation; Yellowknife and Ndılǫ, potentially including the Ingraham Trail; Dettah; Jean Marie River; Kakisa; Wekweètı̀; and Sambaa k’e.

Before you register for DAP, it is important to note it only applies if:

  • A wildfire caused damage to your primary residence and/or belongings.

  • The applicant is a resident of the Northwest Territories (NWT). A resident is defined as a person who is lawfully entitled to be in, or remains in Canada, has lived in the NWT for at least three consecutive months, and is physically present in the NWT at least 153 days during each calendar year.

  • Your insurance does not cover costs related to restoring essential items and property.

If you have questions or need assistance with navigating the process to access disaster assistance, email disasterassistance@gov.nt.ca or call (867) 767-9161 ext. 20134.

The GNWT is working with host jurisdictions to help connect evacuees to supports available in the 15 Alberta host communities, Winnipeg, and Whitehorse. We are deploying GNWT staff who have volunteered to share information about available supports with their friends and neighbors and to connect help connect them with those supports. In addition, evacuees can email disasterassistance@gov.nt.ca to receive  answers to questions they may have.

 The GNWT is working with host jurisdictions to implement a family reunification process. It will be rolled out as soon as possible. Evacuees have registered in various different locations and we are consolidating that  information into one searchable database. We will have a toll-free number that people can contact if they are seeking support in locating family or a friend. This will be published once we have the database compiled. We certainly recognize that in some circumstances people may not want us to share their location and contact information, and we will respect those wishes.

General Updates

The latest updates from the Emergency Management Organization can be found here: Latest Updates

Information about which NWT communities are currently under an evacuation order can be found here: Notices, Alerts, and Orders

Information about Evacuee Reception Centre locations can be found here: Evacuee Reception Centres

Follow NWT Fire for updates on wildfire:

Visit the Highway Conditions Map for the NWT current highways status. Do not call NWT Fire for highway updates. Please check the NWT Highway Conditions Map for the latest updates.

Applications for the Evacuation Travel Support Program are now open and available online.

The GNWT has updated the online application form for the Evacuation Travel Support Program and is developing an additional resource to respond to some of the most frequently asked questions from residents.

For more information, please visit: https://www.fin.gov.nt.ca/en/services/evacuation-travel-support-program.

With evacuations and impacts from wildfires in the NWT, access to care and services will be different than normal. A Questions and Answers webpage about has been developed for evacuees and can be found here.

If you are outside the NWT and have lost or are missing your NWT health care card, more information can be found by clicking here.

You can also call NWT 811 for both health information and general information on evacuation supports. In the NWT dial 811, outside the NWT dial 1-844-259-1793.

Monetary donations are being accepted by United Way NWT.

Get your Emergency Kit and essentials packed and ready. 

Evacuee Registration Portal

The Evacuee Registration Portal is for NWT residents who need to evacuate—or be prepared to evacuate—due to an emergency or disaster. All residents who have been evacuated are asked to register themselves in the portal, even if you have also registered at an evacuation centre.

NWT Wildfires Safety Check

A public Facebook group is available to mark yourself safe from the 2023 wildfires in the NWT.

If you need to report a missing person, contact the RCMP at 867-669-1111.

 NWT Alert

Follow the latest emergency alerts here: https://nwtalert.ca/#/

  • Download the Alertable emergency app

Check Also

Los Angeles nurses demand Nursing Govt Officer accountability to guard sufferers

RNs at California Hospital Medical Middle are talking out about administration’s refusal to deal with …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *