Hurricane Idalia Weather Preparation – City of Charlotte

Published on August 30, 2023

Man looking at flooded area

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Emergency Management Office (CMEMO), Mecklenburg County, and the City of Charlotte are working together to monitor Hurricane Idalia and any potential impacts to Mecklenburg County. Emergency management partners are in constant communication with one another to address any community needs. There are no plans to activate the Mecklenburg County Emergency Operations Center at this time. CMEMO will continue to monitor the weather and community needs and respond as the storm progresses.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Services is checking high priority areas in creeks, road crossings, culverts, sewer line crossings, and bridges. With more than 100,000 storm drains in Charlotte, residents are encouraged to safely check for and clear debris from storm drains in their neighborhood. All residents should prepare now for any potential impacts.

How to Prepare

  • Follow the National Weather Service, local media outlets, and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Emergency Management on Twitter and Instagram for weather-related updates.
  • Sign up for CharMeck Alerts to receive location-specific emergency alerts.
  • Check local rainfall amounts and creek levels.
  • Build an emergency kit with items you might need for 72 hours:

    • Non-perishable food
    • Water (one gallon per person per day)
    • Flashlights with extra batteries 
    • Medications
    • First aid kit
    • Battery backup
    • Pet supplies
    • Other items specific to your family’s needs  

Know Who to Call 

  • Call 911 for emergencies. You can be routed to police, fire, or medic.
  • If a tree or part of a tree has fallen and is obstructing or completely blocking a street, call 911 immediately. Residents can report non-emergency public tree issues (ex. hanging tree limb) online. When reporting a tree issue, please enter the street location and  house number. Residents can also report tree issues through the CLT+ mobile app or by calling 311 — 704.336.7600 if calling from outside Mecklenburg County. The city’s downed tree and limb removal request map displays reports received in the past 14 days of trees blocking a road or downed trees/limbs in the city’s right-of-way.

  • For non-emergency situations, please call 311. Examples include:

    • Reporting storm drain blockages or creek blockages.
    • Reporting water and wastewater emergencies.
    • Reporting downed trees in yards that do not pose a safety risk. 

  • For power outages, call your energy provider.

Check Also

Los Angeles nurses demand Nursing Govt Officer accountability to guard sufferers

RNs at California Hospital Medical Middle are talking out about administration’s refusal to deal with …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *